French Onion Soup
Yields: 4 servings per recipe - 1 cup per serving
- ½ c. unsalted butter
- 2 T. olive oil
- 4 c. sliced onions
- 4 (10.5 oz.) cans beef broth
- 2 T. dry sherry (optional)
- 1 T. dried thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 slices French or whole wheat bread
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- ¼ c. grated Parmesan cheese
- Melt butter with olive oil in an 8 quart stock pot on medium heat.
- Add onions and continually stir until tender and translucent. Do not brown the onions.
- Add beef broth, sherry and thyme. Season with salt and pepper, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oven broiler.
- Ladle soup into oven safe serving bowls and place one slice of bread on top of each (bread may be broken into pieces if you prefer).
- Layer each slice of bread with your cheeses.
- Place bowls on cookie sheet and broil in the preheated oven until cheese bubbles and browns slightly.
- Calories: 593
- Fat: 45 grams
- Carbs: 22 grams
- Protein: 21 grams